Privacy Collection Statement
We are committed to respecting the privacy of all users of this Website.
The types of information that may be collected as a result of your use of this Website are:
• the fact that you have visited the Website and the date and time of your visit;
• statistical information about your server address and your top level domain name (for example, .com, .com.au, .gov.au, .co.uk. etc.);
• the pages you have accessed and the documents you have downloaded;
• the previous site you visited (if you have linked to this Website); and
• the type of browser you use.
We will not make any attempt to identify you or your browsing activities from the collection of this information.
If you choose to register as a member of the Website, or provide us with feedback or enquiries, then some personal information will be recorded against your user profile. It will only be used for the purposes of enabling us to:
• provide services to you (such as moderating our online community to keep you safe);
• contact you regarding a request to become a speaker or member;
• provide information and resources to you (for example, if you order any VACCHO materials to be sent to you), including details of updates and other information relevant to VACCHO or the Website;
• respond to your enquiries and feedback;
• meet our Website management needs (for example, by registering you as a member of the Website);
• engage in direct marketing activities via email (if you have registered your email address with us and have not “opted-out”); or
We may disclose information to third parties that help us deliver the Website and its content (including information technology and communication suppliers) or as required by law.
In this privacy collection statement, “VACCHO” means the Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation Inc (ABN 67 498 114 972) (VACCHO, we, us and our). “Website” means the website located at www.vaccho.org.au and related mobile applications.
VACCHO is committed to protecting your privacy and complying with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 (Cth) together with other relevant state laws in relation to the management of personal information. Collection of your personal information is in accordance with the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles therein.
What is personal information?
How do we collect personal information?
We may collect your personal information if you:
• register to become a member of the Website;
• deal with us directly over the phone or via our support service;
• have contact with us in person;
• participate in public or closed surveys, questionnaires or conference events;
• register for face-to-face or digital events (such as webinars);
• interact with us online, including through our websites, email, webchats, mobile applications and social media channels (such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram or LinkedIn – these social media channels will also handle your personal information for their own purposes and have their own privacy policies);
• click on our banners, hyperlinks or plugins;
• have donated to another organisation and have consented to receiving information from like-minded organisations such as VACCHO; and
• apply for a position with us (either as an employee, or as a volunteer or as a contractor).
We may also collect personal information from third parties, such as our related service providers, and from publicly available sources of information.
This collection may be required to allow you to:
• join our websites as a registered member;
• make a donation;
• receive information from us including alerts via email or SMS communications;
• apply to hold a fundraising event;
• register to use forums;
• register as a volunteer;
• register as a VACCHO Ambassador or Speaker;
• download or order resources;
• access services for your educational institution or organisation;
• participate in professional learning modules;
• receive information about or become involved in our programs, campaigns or other initiatives;
• use our mobile applications; and
• work with us.
Collecting personal information through our Website
Our Website uses Google Analytics, a service which transmits website traffic data to Google servers in the United States of America. Our Website also uses the following Google Analytics Advertising Features:
• Remarketing and Impression Reporting;
• Demographics and Interest Reporting.; and
• Government (Commonwealth, State, Territory and Department) reporting.
Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand Website traffic and webpage usage in order to improve our services, programs, content and resources.
We also use Site Improve to identify audience habits and behaviours so that content and User Experience-related issues can be resolved, enhancing the overall Website experience for users.
Our Website uses marketing automation tools that send communications (such as email or SMS) using a number of different services. Each service uses tracking technologies primarily to understand what subjects are interesting to you by monitoring whether your emails are opened, and links are followed. This information is then used to improve the messages that are sent to you and to improve the services, programs, content and resources that are offered to you.
What personal information do we collect?
We collect the personal information which you provide to us. This may include your name, address, age or date of birth, telephone number, organisation, service or educational institution details, email address, communication preferences, professional learning, or the amount you have donated. In some cases, with your consent (for example, if you apply to register as a member or volunteer), we may also collect health information about you, such as your medical history.
If you order certain resources, or make a donation to us, you may also provide credit card details and other information which will allow us to process your request and make the transaction.
We may also collect:
• historical records of your communications and interactions with us and the Website;
• information relating to you that you provide to us directly or indirectly through your contact with us or your use of the Website;
• your preferences for receiving further information about our programs, campaigns or activities;
• details or history of preferences, interests and behaviour in relation to communications, interactions and activities on the Website;
• your IP address, web log and related domain, browser, computer and connection information, device ID, device type, geo-location information;
• statistics on your page views of the Website and the sites you were visiting before you came to the Website, traffic to and from and within the Website, and ad data;
• additional types of personal information such as title, department name, company information or marketing spend; and
• demographic information and unique identifiers in order to provide you with a more personalised experience or to verify your passwords.
The choice of how much information you provide to us is yours, but if you want to register as a member of, or have a user account on our Website, order printed or download digital resources, make a donation, or otherwise participate in our professional learning modules, programs and events, we require certain information from you in order to provide those services.
Where possible, you have the option of interacting with us anonymously (for example, as a visitor of the Website) or using a pseudonym if you feel more comfortable dealing with us that way. For example, if you contact us by telephone with a general question, we will not ask for your full name unless we need it to answer your question.
Wherever possible, we will try to collect personal information from you directly, rather than from another person or source, unless it is unreasonable or impractical to do so.
How does VACCHO use your personal information?
We collect, hold and use personal information in order to deliver the Website, our services and to otherwise conduct our functions and activities.
The personal information you provide to us may be used by us for different purposes, including:
• to register you as a member of the Website and allow you to obtain access to the interactive elements of our Website (including any online forums and all professional learning);
• to provide you with the information, resources or merchandise you have requested;
• to involve you in programs, campaigns, research, activities or other initiatives undertaken by VACCHO;
• to show your name and the amount of any donation or sponsorship you may make on our website (unless you choose a private or anonymous donation);
• for the marketing and research purposes of VACCHO, its contractors or service providers;
• To carry out administration, marketing, planning, fraud and loss prevention activities, development, quality control and research to improve the way we and our related service providers provide the Website and services to you;
• to gain an understanding of your information to develop, operate and improve the Website and our services (including our related service providers);
• respond to ‘Contact Us’ form enquiries such as the educational programs, general website feedback or assistance, or media enquiries, and to provide technical support;
• to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
• for research, advice and information, including for bench-marking purposes;
• to send you emails about our programs, campaigns or activities if you have agreed to receive our emails (you will be provided with an opportunity in each email to decline to receive any further emails from us by unsubscribing – if you are a registered member of our Website, you can also edit your communication preferences via your member account);
• in the case of marketing automation, to improve the emails that are sent to you and to improve the personalisation, services, programs, content and resources that are offered to you;
• to enable like-minded organisations to contact you with information that may be of interest to you (if you have consented to this);
• to administer forms, surveys and questionnaires;
• to comply with laws and regulations or to comply with any directions given by regulators or authorities;
• to assess any application from you to work with us; and
• if you lodge a complaint or query with us, to process and respond to your complaint or query.
If you access the interactive elements of our Website (including online forums and Be You professional learning), only your display name will be shown online. We recommend that you do not post information online that may identify you or anyone else such as your address, email address or phone number. If you do post personal information online, your personal information may be identified, recovered and displayed by internet search engines.
Regardless of where in the world you reside, VACCHO may transfer your data to Australia and process and store it there.
Other than for the purposes described above, we will not use your personal information without your prior consent.
Security of your personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure the security of all information we collect, including that the information is protected from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. For example, your personal information is maintained in a secure environment, which can be accessed only by authorised personnel. However, no data transmission over the internet or information stored on servers accessible through the internet can be guaranteed to be fully secure.
In addition, we take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify your personal information once we no longer need it or have been directly instructed by you to permanently remove or suppress your personal information.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, up-to-date and complete for the purpose for which it is collected, but make no warranties about the accuracy of personal information.
Disclosure of personal information
We may disclose your personal information if:
• you have consented to the disclosure;
• the use or disclosure is directly related to the primary purpose of collection, for example, it is necessary to provide you with information you have requested about the Website or our services;
• the use or disclosure is for secondary purposes that you would reasonably expect and is related (or in the case of sensitive information, directly related) to the primary purpose of collection;
• it is necessary for the maintenance of a registered member account;
• it will assist us in providing services you have requested;
• we wish to conduct market research and marketing strategy analysis;
• it is necessary to manage, maintain or develop the Website or our services;
• it is a requirement of our funders, partners or service providers to fulfil their services to us, in which case only basic personal information will be shared to the extent necessary;
• disclosure is necessary to prevent injury to life or health; or
• it is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order.
We may also share non-personal, de-identified and aggregated information for funding, research or promotional purposes, or to administer and improve the Website or our services.
We only disclose your health information for the purposes for which you gave it to us or for a directly related purpose you would reasonably expect or if you agree.
Who does VACCHO disclose personal information to?
• our officers, employees, contractors, agents and related bodies corporate;
• third party suppliers and related service providers, including providers for the operation of the Website, our business or in connection with providing or marketing our services to you;
• our funders, delivery partners or affiliates;
• professional advisors (such as accountants, auditors and lawyers);
• specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by us;
• those authorities for which the disclosure is required by law.
The Website is housed in Australia. We do not directly disclose personal information to recipients located overseas.
We and our related service providers, partners and affiliates may send you direct marketing communications and information about the Website or our services. This may take the form of emails, SMS, mail or other forms of communication, in accordance with the Spam Act 2003 (Cth) and the Privacy Act.
You may elect not to receive marketing materials from us by contacting us or using the opt-out facilities provided (e.g. an unsubscribe link).
We in no way endorse third party content or linked sites and are in no way responsible for the privacy practices or policies relating to third party content or linked sites. We recommend you review the privacy of each third-party site you access from the Website to determine their use of any data collected from you, especially if you intend to disclose any personal information via that site.
Accessing and correcting personal information
You may ask us in writing to provide you with details of the personal information we have collected about you and which is held by us. We will provide you with this information where reasonable and practical to do so, and in accordance with Australian or other relevant privacy laws. You may request correction to the personal information we hold about you. We will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to correct your personal information as requested to ensure it is accurate, up-to-date and complete.
You can ask for access or correction by contacting us and we will usually respond within 30 days. If we refuse to give you access to, or correct, your personal information, we will notify you in writing setting out the reasons.
Notifiable Data Breaches Scheme
In the event of any unauthorised access or unauthorised disclosure or loss of your personal information that is likely to result in serious harm to you, we will investigate and notify you and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Complaints about your privacy
If you believe your privacy has been breached or you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information, please contact us in writing. Please include your name, email address and telephone number and clearly describe your complaint. We will ensure that complaints are investigated and will respond within a reasonable period (usually within 30 days).
If you would like further information about privacy and the protection of your personal information, or if you feel we have not resolved your complaint satisfactorily, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au.
Governing law and data storage
The handling of personal information is in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). Your use of the Website is governed by the laws of Victoria, Australia, and you submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts exercising jurisdiction in Victoria.
You should be aware that when you submit your personal information to us through the Website, your information will be deemed to be sent to us from Australia. Therefore, your information may be stored in a country that has different privacy laws than your home country, and you should be aware that your information will be handled in accordance with the laws of Australia.
By providing any personal information to us through the Website, all users, including without limitation users in the United States of America and the member states of the United Kingdom, fully understand and unambiguously consent to the submission, collection and processing of such information in Australia.
This Policy was last updated in August 2022.
References to “VACCHO”, “we”, “us” and “our” are references to the Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation Inc ABN 67 498 114 972.
“Website” means the whole or any part of the web pages located at www.vaccho.org.au as replicated on any device (including mobile applications) and includes the layout, individual design elements, underlying code elements and any text, sounds, videos, graphics, animated elements or other content contained on this Website.
How to contact us
Post: Attention: The Privacy Officer
17-23 Sackville Street
Collingwood VIC 3066