Certificate IV in Mental Health – CHC43315
This qualification reflects the role of workers who provide self-directed recovery oriented support for people affected by mental illness and psychiatric disability.
Work involves implementing community based programs and activities focusing on mental health, mental illness and psychiatric disability. Work is undertaken in a range of community contexts such as community based non-government organisations; home based outreach; centre-based programs; respite care; residential services, rehabilitation programs; clinical settings; or supporting people in employment. Work is carried out autonomously under the broad guidance of other practitioners and professionals.
Career opportunities and pathways
- Community Rehabilitation Worker
- Community Rehabilitation and Support Worker
- Outreach Officer
- Mental Health Outreach Worker
- Assistant Community Services Worker
Prior to enrolment, applicants may attend an interview regarding their career aspirations.
Admission requirements are completion of a Language, Literacy and Numeracy assessment.
All students need to be able to obtain a Police Check and a volunteer Working with Children Check.
Duration and training delivery
This course will be delivered over 18 months. The course includes a mix of delivery methods, such as face-to-face class time and online classes.
As part of this course you will be required to complete clinical or work placement activities. This must be undertaken within a relevant organisation that provides these services. Details of the hours for clinical or work placement activities can be obtained by emailing VACCHO Student Administration in the first instance.
Units of study
Total number of units =20
15 Core units:
- CHCADV005 Provide systems advocacy services
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCMHS002 Establish self-directed recovery relationships
- CHCMHS003 Provide recovery oriented mental health services
- CHCMHS004 Work collaboratively with the care network and other services
- CHCMHS005 Provide services to people with co-existing mental health and alcohol and other drugs issues
- CHCMHS009 Provide early intervention, health prevention and promotion programs
- CHCMHS010 Implement recovery-oriented approaches to complexity
- CHCMHS011 Assess and promote social, emotional and physical wellbeing
- CHCMHS012 Provide support to develop wellness plans and advanced directives
- CHCMHS013 Implement trauma informed care
- CHCPOL003 Research and apply evidence to practice
- CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- HLTWHS004 Manage work health and safety
5 elective units:
- CHCPRP001 Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships
- CHCEDU001 Provide community focused health promotion and prevention strategies
- HLTWHS006 Manage personal stressors in the work environment
- CHCPWK006 Promote and conduct mental health peer work
- CHCCSM004 Coordinate complex case requirements
- Subsidised training and funding >>
- Student information including Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning >>
To apply for this course, submit an Expression of Interest via the link below.
Business and Leadership
Social and Emotional Wellbeing
If you are currently enrolled with us and have an enquiry, or interested in studying at VACCHO please fill out and submit the form below or contact the Education and Training Unit at VACCHO by calling (03) 9411 9411.