Diploma of Counselling – CHC51015
This course provides the skills and knowledge required to undertake generic counselling work and high-level communication in a range of commonly used modalities, referral and working within a case management framework in both community services and other settings.
At this level, you would be working in a defined and supported counselling role rather than in an independent practice.
Career opportunities and pathways
Completion of this qualification can lead to several career opportunities such as:
- homelessness services
- family and domestic violence
- child protection services
- employment support
- group facilitator
- community corrections
- case worker
- client service assessor
- community services worker.
This qualification provides opportunities for further training to move into specialist counselling, Alcohol and Other Drugs or Mental Health streams at higher AQF levels such as Advanced Diploma or degree.
Prior to enrolment, all applicants are required to attend an interview. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at time of course commencement. Admission requirements are completion of a Language, Literacy and Numeracy assessment.
All students need to be able to obtain a satisfactory Police Check and a valid Working with Children Check prior to undertaking work placement.
Students are required to complete work placement to successfully complete the requirements of the course.
Duration and training delivery
This course will be delivered over 24 months. The course includes a mix of delivery methods, such as face-to-face class time and online classes.
As part of this course you will be required to complete clinical or work placement activities. This must be undertaken within a relevant organisation that provides these services. Details of the hours for clinical or work placement activities can be obtained by contacting VACCHO Student Administration email@example.com in the first instance.
Units of study
Total number of units = 22
16 Core units:
- CHCCCS019 Recognise and respond to crisis situations
- CHCCSL001 Establish and confirm the counselling relationship
- CHCCSL002 Apply specialist interpersonal and counselling interview skills
- CHCCSL003 Facilitate the counselling relationship and process
- CHCCSL004 Research and apply personality and development theories
- CHCCSL005 Apply learning theories in counselling
- CHCCSL006 Select and use counselling therapies
- CHCCSL007 Support counselling clients in decision-making processes
- CHCCSM005 Develop, facilitate and review all aspects of case management
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
- CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
4 Elective units:
- CHCCCS017 Provide loss and grief support
- CHCDFV001 Recognise and respond appropriately to domestic and family violence
- CHCFAM003 Support people to improve relationships
- CHCMHS001 Work with people with mental health issues
- Subsidised training and funding >>
- Student information including Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning >>
To apply for this course, submit an Expression of Interest via the link below.
Business and Leadership
Social and Emotional Wellbeing
If you are currently enrolled with us and have an enquiry, or interested in studying at VACCHO please fill out and submit the form below or contact the Education and Training Unit at VACCHO by calling (03) 9411 9411.